Then, River comes over begging for a bit of cucumber. I tried to explain to him that he’s a carnivore, I tried bribing him with another more doggie-friendly treat but there was no reasoning with his fluffiness. It had to be cucumber and it had to be now.
I never thought of my dogs as mental giants, but shouldn’t they know what to eat? How do I instill a healthy dislike for vegetables in them?
These steps vary somewhat, but I honestly follow most of them pretty much every Saturday morning.
- Hear Ocean get up and scratch at my bed again and realize she’s not going to stop until I get up. Curse the fact that it’s 6:30 am on a Saturday morning.
- Get up and try to not step on both dogs who are now trying to let me know just how much they love me by getting under my feet.
- Head to kitchen while reassuring a moaning River that he’s not going to die of hunger and that breakfast is coming.
- Promise myself that the next pet we get is going to be a stuffed bear.
- Try to make coffee while getting dog food ready. Ignore Ocean’s insistent demands for morning kisses by standing and staring at me with the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen on a living creature.
- Change dog water, kiss and hug Ocean, point out to River that breakfast is coming, he had a late night snack last night and he has yet to miss a single meal.
- Mix breakfast for dogs of kibble and something else for added nutritional value because Ocean won’t touch her food unless there’s something else in there.
- Give dogs their plates and realize I haven’t had a single sip of coffee. Curse again and promise myself next Saturday, Hubby will get up instead of myself.
- Promise River, who has already finished his breakfast, that more food will be coming and kiss Ocean so she starts to sniff hers.
- Desperately sip at my first cup of coffee. Feel caffeine hit system.
- Realize these dogs are adorable…and maybe we could get them a little brother or sister?