Mark Twain was literary genius and wrote incredible books but, what I didn’t know, was he also had a great sense of humour. These quotes are all his. I chose them because they’re also surprisingly funny.
1. “Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.” Love it. I love that one.
2. “It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.” Isn’t it hilarious? Ha! Still chuckling over that one.
3. “Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times.” I don’t smoke but I find this one hilarious.
4. “A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.” Another hilarious and really good one.
5. “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.”
6. “Familiarity breeds contempt – and children.”
7. “All generalizations are false, including this one.” Ha! It’s that twist he does at the end that makes his quotes so funny. They look like they’re going one way, then quickly turn.
And, my all-time favourite: “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”
Isn’t he great? Love those quotes!